San Juan County Planning Commission seeks public testimony for comprehensive plan
||| SAN JUAN COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS |||
The San Juan County Planning Commission is seeking public testimony on an ordinance adopting the 2036 Comprehensive Plan Update. The Comprehensive Plan is the centerpiece of local planning in the county. Like a business plan, the Global Plan provides the framework for our community’s growth.
Public hearings on the 2036 Global Plan Update will be held on the following dates:
• Friday, July 15, 2022: full map text, excluding official maps
• Friday August 19, 2022 – specifically for official maps
Hearings will be held virtually and in the County Council Hearing Room in the Legislative Building at 55 Second Street, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island and begin at or after 8:45 a.m. Information for joining the hearings is available at: https://www.sanjuanco.com/589/Planning-Commission. Interested parties are encouraged to submit written or oral comments regarding the proposal.
Copies of the draft order and staff reports relating to the comprehensive plan are posted online at: https://www.sanjuanco.com/1079/Comprehensive-Plan-Update. As a reminder, the public hearing of July 15, 2022 excludes official maps. The Planning Commission will collect public testimony and make a recommendation on proposed changes to the official Global Plan maps at a public hearing on August 19, 2022.
How to comment
The official comment period for the July 15 hearing is from June 29 to July 15, 2022. Written comments submitted by noon on July 14, 2022 will be provided to the Planning Commissioners prior to the hearing. Please comment:
• By mail: Prior to the public hearing, the public may send written comments to Sophia Cassam, Department of Community Development (DCD), PO Box 947 Friday Harbor, WA 98250.
• By e-mail: Send your comments by e-mail to [email protected] Title the subject line: Full Plan Update. For the record, please include your full name and address.
• Via oral testimony: to join Microsoft Teams, go to https://www.sanjuanco.com/589/Planning-Commission to find meeting information. To join by phone, please call 1 (360) 726-3293 and use meeting ID 613 618 865#
After collecting the testimonies, the town planning commission will deliberate on its recommendation to the departmental council. The proposed ordinance will meet the requirement established by RCW 36.70.A.130 for San Juan County to periodically update its comprehensive plan.
Contact: Sophia Cassam, Planner II, [email protected] (360) 370-7589
About the San Juan County Department of Community Development
The San Juan County Department of Community Development is responsible for building permits and inspections, code enforcement, land use designations, long-range planning, and more. The department’s main office is located at 135 Rhone Street, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. For more information about the San Juan County Department of Community Development, visit www.sanjuanco.com/1778/Community-Development.
Orcasonian’s comment policy
We encourage comments and expect conversations to follow the conventions of polite speech, much like in kindergarten. Therefore, we have some basic guidelines:
- We need your FULL NAME.
- No vulgar language, personal attacks of any kind or offensive terms targeting protected classes