San Juan County Planning Commission continues public hearing on comprehensive plan
The San Juan County Planning Commission is continuing the public hearing on an ordinance adopting the 2036 Comprehensive Plan Update. The Comprehensive Plan is the centerpiece of local planning in the county. Like a business plan, the Global Plan provides the framework for our community’s growth.
Public hearings on the 2036 Global Plan Update will be held on the following dates:
- Friday, August 5, 2022 – Continuation of the hearing on the text of the Global Plan, excluding official maps
- Friday August 19, 2022 – specifically for official maps
Hearings will be held virtually and in the County Council Hearing Room in the Legislative Building at 55 Second Street, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island and begin at or after 8:45 a.m. Information for joining the hearings is available at: https://www.sanjuanco.com/589/Planning-Commission. Interested parties are encouraged to submit written or oral comments regarding the proposal.
Copies of the draft order and staff reports relating to the comprehensive plan are posted online at: https://www.sanjuanco.com/1079/Comprehensive-Plan-Update. As a reminder, the public hearing of August 5, 2022 excludes official maps. The Planning Commission will collect public testimony and make a recommendation on proposed changes to the official Global Plan maps at a public hearing on August 19, 2022.
How to comment
Written comments submitted by noon on August 4, 2022 will be provided to the Planning Commissioners prior to the hearing. Please comment:
- By email: Prior to the public hearing, the public may send written comments to Sophia Cassam, Department of Community Development (DCD), PO Box 947 Friday Harbor, WA 98250.
- By email: Email your comments to [email protected] Title the subject line: Full Plan Update. For the record, please include your full name and address.
- By oral testimony: To join by Microsoft Teams, visit https://www.sanjuanco.com/589/Planning-Commission to find meeting information. To join by phone, please call 1 (360) 726-3293 and use meeting ID 613 618 865#
After collecting testimony, the planning commission will continue deliberations on its recommendation to the county council. The proposed ordinance will meet the requirement established by RCW 36.70.A.130 for San Juan County to periodically update its comprehensive plan.