Court of Commissioners deals with March storm damage |
Electoral issues also discussed
By Will Johnson
HOUSTON COUNTY – During the final session of the Houston County Commissioners Court, held on Tuesday, April 12, commissioners received several pieces of information related to the tornado that devastated parts of Houston County on March 21.
County Judge Jim Lovell had issued a local disaster declaration on March 22 due to a series of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms on March 21 that caused major property damage, power outages and storm debris. The Commissioners received the statement for their information.
As the meeting continued, a lengthy discussion about extending a deadline for receiving requests for qualifications for a county employee salary survey. The county had expressed interest in receiving the price requests but received none. No action has been taken regarding the extension of the deadline. The last county employee salary survey was conducted in 2000.
Following the discussion of the salary survey, the court addressed issues regarding the May 7 special constitutional election. The Commissioners approved the receipt and publication of the notice of election and authorization to open a temporary branch, due to a joint election with Kennard ISD.
The court also received for information the list of assistant clerks designated for the advance poll.
In other cases before the court:
- The commissioners approved the minutes of previous meetings.
- Budget changes were approved as well as the payment of bills and expenses incurred by the county.
- The Houston County Environmental, Community Services, and County Clerk Fine Reports for March 2022 have been approved by the court.
- The court approved the salaries of new employees and/or transferred employees.
- A donation from the Houston County Law Enforcement Association for hotel costs incurred by the Sheriff’s Department was approved by the court.
- Hotel Occupancy Tax funding has been approved for: the Crockett Area Chamber of Commerce for the Crockett Music and Arts Festival to be held June 10-12; the 41st Annual Christmas at Crockett to be held November 18-19; and the Davy Crockett Classic Bike Race to be held April 22-24.
- Houston County Auditor Melissa Jeter was reappointed County Auditor for a term beginning April 16, 2022 and ending April 15, 2024.
Will Johnson can be contacted by email at [email protected].